Thursday, February 10, 2011

Transit to Istanbul

Murat's Dad
One of the things I have noticed as I have started to execute my “25 Things” is that there really are not 25. The origin of this blog is the requirement that I write about each of the elements that are part of my sabbatical project. In writing up its parts, for some reason I separated the element of traveling to the country from the element of traveling to each of the two cities I would be visiting in each country. It doesn't make much sense to me now. When you transit to the country, you are likely headed to one of the cities.  That leaves you writing about the same event twice. It doesn't really work. There just is not enough to write about. Usually.

But Istanbul is different. (Noticing a theme? Turkey was different.) By the time we began our trip to Turkey, MC and I had been on the road for months. Istanbul was the 12th city we are visiting (not counting day trips from Brussels). We were old hands. We knew how to get to and from the airport using public transit and we were used to schlepping our bags.

That did not happen in Turkey. This may explain why Turkey is MC's favorite stop so far. In Istanbul when we arrived there was a very nice man waiting for us with my name on the sign. This was entirely Murat’s doing. The man worked for Murat’s father, who is a building developer constructing high-rise apartments. Murat told his dad we needed a ride and it was arranged. He took us to our hotel where it became clear I needed a Turkish SIM card for my phone. It was arranged. A person to show us around would be nice. It was arranged. I could go on.

Most places we have been we were a visitor. In Turkey we felt like a guest. A lot of that was Murat. I know.  But some of it was just how Turkey is different, I think.

Blog update:  I had some catching up to do with Germany, so the next few posts will be canned - since I do not expect to be able to put up new stuff from Cuba.  If I somehow find a suitable connection, I still have lot's of Turkey posts to write & upload - then once I am back the Cuba posts should start.

No comments:

Post a Comment