Friday, January 21, 2011

Murat's Turkey

Long time blog followers know the drill.  I visit a country and do my 25 things, then I start writing about it and finally, I start to post the blog entries.  There is sometimes a sizeable lag.  For Russia, I was still cleaning things up weeks after we arrived in Belgium.  For Germany, I will still be cleaning things up long after we have left "the next destination", this time Turkey.  And I am sure Turkey will not be finished until after I get back to North America (Montreal) and finally have some long blocks of time where I can sit and write.  There is a lot to say about Turkey.  It is an extraordinary country, populated by perhaps even more extraordinary people.

Today we leave Ankara, our second Turkish stop, for Izmir - what will be our last stop in Turkey.  Everyday we see or experience one thing more interesting and marvelous than the day before.  It has been a phenomenal experience, made possible by a former student, Murat who has made sure we experience his country fully.  We owe him a great debt of gratitude.

So, coming attractions - the next couple days look for a bunch of posts on the remaining German topics with maybe a post or two from MC on Turkey.  We are headed from Izmir to Greece, then Italy flying from Rome to Montreal.  From there MC goes home and I go to Cuba (she was denied the permission they gave me to visit).  One of us will be in California mid February.  By the end of February, we will both be there with China & Japan hovering on the horizon.

For those playing WiT?  Check the original post for new clues as I get a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment