Sunday, January 23, 2011

MC's Istanbul

While sitting at the airport waiting for our flight to Ankara, I felt I should write some of my thoughts about Istanbul before the next impressions.

Istanbul is amazing.  It is beautiful, full of history and exotic all at the same time.  The people we got to know and even the people on the street are gracious and hospitable.  Is it part of their culture to be so gracious and accommodating to visitors?  I don't know for sure but even the way sales people on the street approach you is not off-putting. "Can I help you?" is the refrain you hear almost incessantly.  I'm sure they know that very few people will actually ask for help but nonetheless it is nicer than "you want to buy?".


The city itself is like a jewel.  There is something beautiful to look at every turn.  The mosques, the Hagia  Sofia and all the incredible  palaces,  it took my  breath away.   The richness and beauty of the Harem at Topkapi palace and the Domabahce Palace is like nothing I've ever seen before. But even just walking around the city or riding public transportation (very well run and affordable) something always catches your eye. 
We were very lucky with the weather here except  yesterday when it rained all day.  It was an opportunity to take it easy (compared to the other days).  I know that bad weather would have easily made me feel a little less enthusiastic about this city. Walking around when the weather is a balmy 50 F and mostly sunny is a treat.  To watch the light play on the buildings, behind the palaces or illuminating the mosques is also part of this city's beauty. 

A few random observations: In Turkey they understand the meaning of bath towels! The size is what matters and they are certainly big (long and wide) enough to cover any size person. Love it!

Even though Turkey is a very egalitarian culture (more to come on that) they always seem to address the man first.  When walking around they would always compliment the man, "Hello handsome man, can I help you?"  (that could be just because I was with Scott, though)  The man is always served first in a restaurant.

They also know how to enjoy breakfast. Here it is a huge meal with eggs, grilled vegetables, soup, cold cuts and a large assortment of cheeses, fresh fruit, dried fruit, yogurt, olives, nuts (now I understand my friend Nancy N.) and my favorite - a large block of honeycomb that you just dig into and savor.  They also serve feta in filo, a cheese and potato dish and the list goes on.  I have consumed more Turkish coffees in the last few days than I can count, not to mention all the tea!  (other meals will be covered in the Ankara part of my blog!).
So do not come to Turkey unless you are ready to eat a lot and have a very big bladder!  Some of the people we have met say that they drink 20 cups of chai or coffee on a daily basis! No need for Red Bull here.

No comments:

Post a Comment