Thursday, November 11, 2010

It's like another life. Part One

You may have noticed.  As much as we love California, we also love to get away from it for extended periods. It's like trying out a different life. Could you live the way they do?

Breakfast, from our kitchen window
I think I could get used to Belgium pretty easily. So what's different? First, there is living without a car. In Danville, it simply can't be done. I remember once trying to take the bus home from school, with one of the cars in the shop. There are buses at DVC and there is a bus stop at the end of our block. Why not give it a try, I thought. So I get on the bus at DVC, 20 min. later I'm at BART in Walnut Creek, 20 min. after that I am in Alamo at the bus stop for the line that runs by our house. I checked the schedule,  turns out the next bus will arrive in only 16 hours! It seems the bus only runs for the high school and hence only twice a day. The nearest bus to my house is about 4 miles away.  You really do need the car.

Here, I live 100 steps from a bus stop that will take me to the train station and from there to wherever I want to go. Or if I walk a little further west, I catch a line that goes to one of my two schools (There is a French & a Dutch university. Completely separate.  An interesting story for  another post.)
Place Flagey, Transportation Hub

If I go east there is a stop for the bus to the other school. The bus costs 45 € per month because we don't qualify for any of the many discounts a Belgian might claim. About 1.5 € a day. Compare that to BART. The trip to school is a 2 min. walk, & a 7 min. ride.

No, I don't miss the car at all. Last weekend we were on the train to Antwerp. We left the house about 8:30 we got there about 10:00. Cost for two door-to-door round-trip including metro? 17 €.  Amsterdam would be a bit more maybe 35 €. Pretty good, pretty cheap.  Even a Californian can live without a car.

2 comments:

  1. I agree and was actually thinking about how impossible life would be without a car and how much i liked living in places where it was not necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it's getting cold, but do a lot of people ride bikes?

    ReplyDelete