Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Transit to China

After the experience I had getting my visa to visit Russia, I was prepared for the worst as I contemplated the process of obtaining permission visit the People's Republic. Russia and China were the only two countries for which we had to apply for visas in advance. Turkey required a visa but it was issued at the airport in exchange for some cash. Cuba issued a travel card and collected an exit tax and Germany was part of the EU Schengen zone. They literally had no idea we came - though they did check us out on the way to Turkey.

Russia and China are in a different category. Both of them collected hefty fees -
(China was $140) and required a visit to the consulate. I had discovered that much by looking at their website - and having had the Russian experience, I was prepared for the worst. I was surprised that the process was quick, efficient and painless (except for the $140 - which I am pretty sure is just tit for tat - that's about what we charge their citizens).

First, the form was basic and straightforward. I did not have to list every school since high school or every employer for the last decade. Just the basic details: name, address, current employer. Once I got to the consulate, the application process was the model of efficiency. I walked in the door and took a number. Before I could sit down, they were calling that number. 5 min. later I was out the door. Three days later I went back and picked it up.  I'm told I went on a good day - but even so - their system is setup to process a bunch of people quickly and it works. You can't ask for much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment