Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Beer Blog: Belgian Beers

There are a lot of options.  We visited the Schaerbeek Museum of Beer (yes, they have them - and yes, there is more than one) where they had 1,500 bottles on display.  Not all of them are everyday beers and not all of them are still made, but even so – I think you could live here for years without ever having to have the same beer twice.

Local Favorites: Maes Pils may be the local favorite (based on advertising presence and shelf space) it could be Belgium’s Bud, only a lot more tasty. From the tap, a very nice, clean, crisp, hoppy, lager. Better than my memory of Stella. But I'll refresh my memory.

Stella Artois: as I remembered it.  Way too can bland for a European lager.  Makes you wonder who decides what to turn into a world brand. This would not be my choice.

Jupiler: the alternative to Maes. Big Time brew, the sponsor of one of the local football (soccer) clubs.  The cans are different, the contents not so much.  I probably couldn't tell a difference in the blind test. About like Stella. Nothing to write home about.

Looking for the bottom: Delhaize 365. Delhaize is a grocery chain. This is this is their generic beer.  About 40¢ for a half liter (pint). Can Belgians make a bad beer? Not this one. Very drinkable European style lager.

Premium Pils: another Delhaize generic, this one costs 60¢.  Hoppy aroma and flavor. Not as good as 365. Go figure.

Delhaize Brown Table Beer: The answer is yes, they can make a bad beer. This is definitely it. It is brown, but it tasted more like a soda than a beer. Very sweet. I took three sips to be sure I could not drink it, then did the unthinkable! Poured it down the drain. Truly awful.
 
Carapils, the students choice. You wander around campus and you see the piles of empty cans. Any guesses why it's the student choice? Okay, sure it's cheap. Taste?  For me it's no different than Stella but not as hoppy (read flavorful) as Delhaize 365, the cheapest of the bunch. The can is better looking. I guess they have some pride.

Next time: The Real Belgians; Triples & Abbey Beers

No comments:

Post a Comment