Monday, August 9, 2010

And So It Begins...

I've read a lot of books and I've seen a lot of TV.  And I've also visited a lot of places.  One of the things I learned from those visits is that no place I have been is ever quite the way I imagined when reading about it.  For sure, some things match your expectations, but if you pay attention you are sure to experience a whole bunch of surprises.  Those surprises add texture and nuance to your understanding.  They transform a one dimensional image into a living breathing reality.  In teaching Comparative Politics, teaching about countries I have never visited, I know I have been transmitting generalizations drawn by people I have never met, about things I have never seen.  It is time to see how much of what I think is true.  This could ruin a bunch of good lectures.  Even so, it must be done.

So this year Marie-Claire and I will get out and see the world.  We hope to get to know each place on its own terms and return home just a little wiser about how things are.  It will be a great adventure.  You are welcome to join us, vicariously, if you like - or if you've always wanted to visit one of the places we are headed, why not meet us there?  We'd love some company.

No comments:

Post a Comment